Northern Kentucky University has accepted the standards established by Section 508, Subsection 1194.22, of the Rehabilitation Act. Section 508 provides achievable, well-documented guidelines for implementation. Northern Kentucky University has also addressed the World Wide Web Consortium's Prioritized Standards for web accessibility as a standard for websites that fall under Tier 1 classification.
W3C's Three Levels of Priorities
- [Priority 1]- A web content developer must satisfy this checkpoint. Otherwise, one or more groups will find it impossible to access information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint is a basic requirement for some groups to be able to use web documents.
- [Priority 2]- A web content developer should satisfy this checkpoint. Otherwise, one or more groups will find it difficult to access information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint will remove significant barriers to accessing web documents.
- [Priority 3]- A web content developer may address this checkpoint. Otherwise, one or more groups will find it somewhat difficult to access information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint will improve access to web documents.
W3C's Three Levels of Conformance
- Conformance Level "A" = all Priority 1 checkpoints are satisfied.
- Conformance Level "Double-A" = all Priority 1 and 2 checkpoints are satisfied.
- Conformance Level "Triple-A" = all Priority 1, 2, and 3 checkpoints are satisfied.
Below are the classification guidelines for NKU content owners to determine their level of compliancy. Ultimately, website properties at the top level (Tier 1) will be addressed by an Accessibility Committee who is dedicated to determining the campus ADA website priorities.
Tier 1 ("Triple-A": all Priority 1, 2, and 3 checkpoints are satisfied,which meets Section 508)
- Top-level websites that serve the general campus population (e.g. Student Account Services, Admission, Registrar)
- University-wide web-based applications that serve general campus population (e.g. Find-It!, Web-Prospect Card, Midterm Grade Application)
Tier 2 (Minimum of Section 508 compliancy)
- Official NKU website departments, offices, groups, organizations, student organizations (e.g. Woman's Studies, Biology Department, College of Business)
- Distance Learning
- NKU course management system (e.g. Blackboard)
- Web-based course content
- NKU web-based Instructor or administration content
- Electronically distributed documents (e.g. PDF, PPT, Video, Flash, Audio)
Tier 3 (should strive to meet Section 508)
- All websites housed on campus web servers created for personal use and are not intended for instructional or official business purposes (e.g. students, staff, faculty personal accounts)
External Content Statement
Based on your content type you should meet the requirements for the appropriate tier:
- Third party vendors applications (e.g. EMAS, SAP, SCT, HR Application Forms)
- Contractors who create content or applications (Community Connections, President's website, Ciber)
- References to external sources of content (e.g. Alumni Portal, CNN, Federal Tax Forms)
Exceptions (Means for handling exceptions to tiering standards)
A university-designated accessibility committee reserves the right to make exceptions to these classifications, on a case by case basis for not meeting certain guidelines. The university-designated accessibility committee will also determine whether NKU websites are considered Tier 1 or 2. Appeals should be handled through the university-designated accessibility committee submission forms.